Automatic Backwash Filtration and HydroFIL® Specialist Particulate Filtration
The installation of local filtration systems for the removal of particles from water is not a mandatory requirement within the UK, though it is in several European countries. Hydrotec believe that the adoption of this ‘best practice’ has many beneficial effects, both for the building and the end user alike. Despite the water supplier’s best endeavours, our supplied water will contain particulates on many occasions, some may be from the water supply itself, but much will be picked up in the pipework and due to pipe leaks, entrained scale deposits or corrosion during transit.
The transmission of these particles into buildings can have several serious consequences for the users.
- Where water storage tanks are employed in the design, particulates may settle causing the accumulation of deposits, giving rise to breeding grounds for bacteria and requiring a higher frequency of cleaning and disinfection
- Blockages to filters and strainers, reducing system flows and providing nutrients for bacteria
- Damage to sensitive plant such as high efficiency water heaters and plate heat exchangers
- Failure of water metering systems, and subsequent logging, monitoring and control systems
- Enhanced risk of system corrosion, by particulate induced corrosion
- Significant possibility of erosion corrosion, particularly in high velocity areas such as pipe bends
- Entrained particulates can reduce the effectiveness of ultra violet water disinfection systems, by blocking the transmission of UV light to the bacteria (an effect known as shadowing)
- Damage or incorrect operation of other downstream water treatment processes
Water filtration as a technology is not new, but has come increasingly to the forefront of water industry requirements as an essential part of many water treatment regimes.
Unfiltered dirt accumulates in this water storage tank from a medical building, this level of accumulation took less than two months.
Historically, replaceable cartridge element filters have been the standard way of dealing with the issues outlined above.
Whilst effective, they do have the disadvantage of frequent replacement of the cartridge with consequential downtime and manpower costs. As filtration technology has advanced, it has led to the development of automated backwashing filters. Automatic backwashing filters have a self-cleaning cycle that eliminates frequent disposable cartridge replacements and have the benefit of the reduced maintenance and without interruption to the supply.
Typical example of HydroFIL® filter systems
HydroFIL® KF Cartridge based particle filters
Manual HydroFIL® Bag Filter suitable for the filtration of cold and hot water up to 110°C and with available with a filter mesh size of 25, 50, 100, 200 and 600 μm
HydroFIL® TF side stream filtration system
To further complement our own particle filtration range, we are proud to supply the Honeywell WRAS approved range of fully automatic backwash filter. We offer their flanged and threaded filter systems with a selection of 20, 50, 100 and 200 micron sized filter elements, with the option to include a differential pressure switch to activate the backwash filter instead of the standard timer mechanism.
Please feel free to contact us to discuss your water filtration requirements.
Supply Sources Requiring Filtration
The HydroFIL® range of products is designed for the application within the filtration of mains quality waters, there are however several other applications where this technology will be required, including:
- Borehole supplies
- Rainwater recycling
- Grey water recycling
For other applications where only specific elements need to be removed from the water, multi-media filtration from our HydroSOLV® range may be the answer. These are of bespoke design and manufactured to meet exact filtration requirements for a specific site application, and therefore can cover a very wide range of criteria and flow rates. A full water analysis is required for these applications, Hydrotec provide this as part of our service. In addition we provide bag filtration systems, particularly where there is a requirement to remove deposits from hot water systems. It is recommended that the application is discussed with your local Hydrotec technical representative, to ensure the correct product is selected.